Baptism is one of the most important religious events a family can celebrate together. Many families hold on to the beautiful baptism gowns for future use, establishing a beautiful tradition that can connect multiple generations. But storing such delicate garments can be difficult.
Here’s what you need to know about how to store a baptism gown so that it stays just as gorgeous as the day it was bought.
Clean the Baptism Gown
The first step in the preservation of a baptism gown is to clean it. Cleaning the baptism gown removes and oil, stains, dirt, or dust which could lead to discoloration or deterioration of the fabric down the line.
How the clothing is cleaned will depend on the material it is made of. For silk and other delicate materials, dry cleaning is the best method.
- For silk and other delicate materials, dry cleaning is the best method.
- For cotton gowns, you can hand wash them in cold water with extremely mild, anionic detergent.
- Wash them on their own, preferably using a screen to gently agitate the piece.
- Rinse it thoroughly and allow it to dry flat.
Stuff and Cover the Baptism Gown
Once the baptism or christening outfit is clean, you’ll need to pack it appropriately for storage. There are two good options for doing this.
You can store the outfit in a garment bag if you intend to hang it. These bags should be made of cotton muslin so that the gown can breathe over time and not stagnate or deteriorate.
You can also store the gown in a flat cardboard or other breathable material box. If you go this route, make sure that you stuff and surround the gown with acid-free tissue to help it keep its shape.
Store the Baptism Gown Appropriately
Finally, store your container in an appropriate environment.
- You’ll want somewhere dark, to avoid sun damage and discoloration.
- You’ll also want to be sure your storage place is cool and dry, around 70 degrees Fahrenheit and no more than 55% humidity. This prevents mold and mildew from becoming an issue.
- This storage space should be consistent in its environment, as fluctuation can damage the fabric.
The best storage places for baptism gowns are interior closets and under beds. Attics, basements, and exterior storage are too inconsistent for long-term storage on such a delicate and precious item.
Do you have a baptism coming up and no traditional outfit to use? Carriage Boutique has a wide range of baptism gowns and outfits to suit any ceremony, made of durable materials to last generations.
Why not start a new tradition with Carriage Boutique? Check out our collection of boys baptism outfits and girls baptism gowns today.