Being a new parent is one of the most exciting, but also overwhelming experiences in life. When it comes to shopping for baby clothes, where do you start?
With so many options out there, it can be hard to find the perfect outfit for your little one. Luckily, this article covers everything from brands to materials and even budgeting tips – so read on for our top 6 tips for buying baby clothes for a new mom!
1. Buy Larger Baby Clothes
People love gifting baby clothes to an expecting mother. Chances are that most friends and family will be drawn to buy newborn clothing for babies zero to three months old. But here’s the thing: many newborn babies will not even fit in newborn-sized clothing.
Those who do, outgrow them very quickly, often within even just a few days or weeks. If you’re buying for an expecting or new mom, opt for clothing sizes larger than you think they will need.
If the clothes end up too large, it won’t be too long before your gift-receiver will be glad they have them. A safe bet is to stick to 6-12 months or larger in size. Check out our Kids Clothing Size Chart: Newborn Babies and Toddlers.
2. Consider Quality Over Quantity
When you're shopping for baby clothes, it's important to remember that quality is more important than quantity. You don't need a lot of clothes for your baby, because they grow so quickly.
Instead, focus on buying a few key pieces that are well-made and will last through multiple Wearings. Some things to look for when you're assessing quality include:
- Will the clothing stand up to repeated washings? Look for items that are made from durable fabrics like cotton or linen. Checkout our blog post about "How to Wash Baby Clothes: 4 Easy Step by Step Guide & Tips".
- Are the seams well-constructed? Avoid clothes with loose threads or gaping holes.
- Is the fit good? Make sure the clothing isn't too tight or too loose. It should be comfortable and allow your baby to move freely.
3. Buy Items That Can Be Worn Multiple Ways
One of the most important things to keep in mind when shopping for baby clothes is to buy items that can be worn multiple ways. This will save you money in the long run and allow you to get more use out of each piece.
For example, instead of buying a bunch of onesies, consider investing in a few multi-purpose outfits like rompers or playsuits.
These can be easily dressed up or down depending on the occasion. Another tip is to stock up on basics like t-shirts, rompers, leggings, and jeans. These pieces can be mixed and matched to create endless different looks.
And don’t forget about accessories! A few key accessories can really elevate an outfit and make it more unique. Scarves, hats, and bows are all great options that can be used again and again.
4. Stick to a Budget
As a new mother, one of the things you need to be mindful of is your budget. With all the other expenses that come with having a baby, it can be easy to overspend on baby clothes. Here are some tips for sticking to a budget when buying baby clothes:
- Buy secondhand when possible. You can find great deals on gently used baby clothes at consignment stores, thrift stores, and even online.
- Shop sales and clearance racks. Take advantage of deals when you can find them.
- Use coupons. There are often coupons available for baby clothing retailers both in store and online. Check sites like RetailMeNot for current coupons and promo codes.
- Don't buy everything at once. You'll likely get plenty of hand-me-downs from friends and family, so you don't need to buy an entire wardrobe all at once. Start with the basics and build from there as needed.5. Invest in quality over quantity. It's better to have a few well-made pieces that will last longer than a bunch of cheap outfits that will fall apart after a few wearings/washings.
5. Think About the Season
Weather can vary greatly depending on the time of year or where the mother resides. If you’re buying ahead of the birth of the baby, you’ll want to do some quick back-of-the-napkin (or in your head) math.
If the baby will be born in December, for example, by the time they are six months old you will be in or near the peak of the summer heat.
Once you decide on the size of the clothing you want to buy, you’ll need to make sure that it will be appropriate for the weather and the season the baby will be in when he or she reaches that age.
6. Go for a Soft Fabric
The younger the baby the softer you’ll want to make sure the clothing is. Babies are still getting used to this worldly environment and their skin can be rather sensitive.
Certain types of materials may not be comfortable for their soft baby skin or may even cause them to break out in a rash.
Stick to soft materials when deciding what to purchase to ensure the baby not only looks adorable but is comfortable as well.
Where To Buy Baby Clothes?
If you're looking to buy baby clothes, there are a variety of unique and convenient options available to suit your needs. By exploring these avenues, you can find the perfect attire for your little one while also enjoying a personalized shopping experience.
But before that, there are a few things to keep in mind when purchasing baby clothes for the first time as a new parent:
- Firstly, it is important to find a store that specializes in baby clothing. This will ensure that the clothes are of high quality and fit well.
- Secondly, it is important to purchase items that are machine washable and easy to care for. New moms have enough on their plate without having to worry about delicate clothing items.
- Lastly, it is important to choose items that are affordable. While it can be tempting to splurge on designer labels, remember that babies grow quickly, and you will need to purchase new clothes often. By following these tips, you can be sure to find the perfect baby clothes for your new bundle of joy.
Here are the places to find and buy perfect clothing for your little one:
- Boutique Baby Stores: These specialized stores offer a curated selection of baby clothes, often focusing on trendy, high-quality, and unique designs. You can find these boutiques in local shopping districts or by searching online for baby clothing stores near you, like Carriage Boutique brand. They are dedicated to offering distinctively designed children's clothing. They ensure that their products are priced competitively, making them accessible to the average family. Their devotion to addressing their customers' needs is demonstrated through their exceptional customer service.
- Online Marketplaces: Websites like Etsy, Amazon, and eBay provide a vast array of baby clothing options, including handmade and custom-made pieces. This allows you to support independent creators while also finding one-of-a-kind outfits for your child.
- Social Media Platforms: Instagram and Facebook are great places to discover small businesses and individual sellers offering stylish baby clothes. Many of these sellers offer limited quantities and exclusive designs, making your baby's wardrobe truly unique.
- Secondhand Shops: Thrift stores, consignment shops, and online resale platforms like Poshmark and ThredUP are excellent sources for gently used baby clothes at a fraction of the cost. Shopping secondhand is not only budget-friendly but also an eco-conscious choice.
- Local Craft Fairs and Farmers Markets: Keep an eye out for local events where artisans and vendors gather to sell their goods. You might be surprised to find beautiful, handcrafted baby clothes made with love by talented individuals in your community.
- Parenting Groups and Swap Meets: Connect with other parents in your area through social media groups, parenting forums, or local meetups. These communities often host clothing swaps or share information about where to find unique baby clothes.
Remember, when purchasing baby clothes, it's essential to consider factors such as comfort, safety, and ease of cleaning. By exploring these various avenues, you'll be able to find exceptional outfits that will make your baby stand out while also keeping them cozy and content.
Buying baby clothes can be an overwhelming task for a new mother, who is just getting used to the idea of having an infant in her life. With these 6 tips on buying baby clothes for a new mom, you should now feel confident in finding some great pieces at reasonable prices that are cute, comfortable and made with quality materials. This will make this special time even more enjoyable for both the mother and the baby!
Want to browse for some new baby clothing for an expecting or new mother? Hit the buy button below and experience a premium quality baby apparel.