6 Tips for Buying Baby Clothes for a New Mom
Being a new parent is one of the most exciting, but also overwhelming experiences in life. When it comes to shopping for baby clothes, where do you start?
With so many options out there, it can be hard to find the perfect outfit for your little one. Luckily, this article covers everything from brands to materials and even budgeting tips – so read on for our top 6 tips for buying baby clothes for a new mom!
1. Buy Larger Baby Clothes
People love gifting baby clothes to an expecting mother. Chances are that most friends and family will be drawn to buy newborn clothing for babies zero to three months old. But here’s the thing: many newborn babies will not even fit in newborn-sized clothing.
Those who do, outgrow them very quickly, often within even just a few days or weeks. If you’re buying for an expecting or new mom, opt for clothing sizes larger than you think they will need.
If the clothes end up too large, it won’t be too long before your gift-receiver will be glad they have them. A safe bet is to stick to 6-12 months or larger in size. Check out our Kids Clothing Size Chart: Newborn Babies and Toddlers.
2. Consider Quality Over Quantity
When you're shopping for baby clothes, it's important to remember that quality is more important than quantity. You don't need a lot of clothes for your baby, because they grow so quickly.
Instead, focus on buying a few key pieces that are well-made and will last through multiple Wearings. Some things to look for when you're assessing quality include:
- Will the clothing stand up to repeated washings? Look for items that are made from durable fabrics like cotton or linen. Checkout our blog post about "6 Tips for Buying Baby Clothes for a New Mom".
- Are the seams well-constructed? Avoid clothes with loose threads or gaping holes.
- Is the fit good? Make sure the clothing isn't too tight or too loose. It should be comfortable and allow your baby to move freely.
3. Buy Items That Can Be Worn Multiple Ways
One of the most important things to keep in mind when shopping for baby clothes is to buy items that can be worn multiple ways. This will save you money in the long run and allow you to get more use out of each piece.
For example, instead of buying a bunch of onesies, consider investing in a few multi-purpose outfits like rompers or playsuits.
These can be easily dressed up or down depending on the occasion. Another tip is to stock up on basics like t-shirts, rompers, leggings, and jeans. These pieces can be mixed and matched to create endless different looks.
And don’t forget about accessories! A few key accessories can really elevate an outfit and make it more unique. Scarves, hats, and bows are all great options that can be used again and again.
4. Stick to a Budget
As a new mother, one of the things you need to be mindful of is your budget. With all the other expenses that come with having a baby, it can be easy to overspend on baby clothes. Here are some tips for sticking to a budget when buying baby clothes:
- Buy secondhand when possible. You can find great deals on gently used baby clothes at consignment stores, thrift stores, and even online.
- Shop sales and clearance racks. Take advantage of deals when you can find them.
- Use coupons. There are often coupons available for baby clothing retailers both in store and online. Check sites like RetailMeNot for current coupons and promo codes.
- Don't buy everything at once. You'll likely get plenty of hand-me-downs from friends and family, so you don't need to buy an entire wardrobe all at once. Start with the basics and build from there as needed.5. Invest in quality over quantity. It's better to have a few well-made pieces that will last longer than a bunch of cheap outfits that will fall apart after a few wearings/washings.
5. Think About the Season
Weather can vary greatly depending on the time of year or where the mother resides. If you’re buying ahead of the birth of the baby, you’ll want to do some quick back-of-the-napkin (or in your head) math.
If the baby will be born in December, for example, by the time they are six months old you will be in or near the peak of the summer heat.
Once you decide on the size of the clothing you want to buy, you’ll need to make sure that it will be appropriate for the weather and the season the baby will be in when he or she reaches that age.
6. Go for a Soft Fabric
The younger the baby the softer you’ll want to make sure the clothing is. Babies are still getting used to this worldly environment and their skin can be rather sensitive.
Certain types of materials may not be comfortable for their soft baby skin or may even cause them to break out in a rash.
Stick to soft materials when deciding what to purchase to ensure the baby not only looks adorable but is comfortable as well.
Where To Buy Baby Clothes?
There are a few things to keep in mind when purchasing baby clothes for the first time as a new parent:
- Firstly, it is important to find a store that specializes in baby clothing, like Carriage Boutique. This will ensure that the clothes are of high quality and fit well.
- Secondly, it is important to purchase items that are machine washable and easy to care for. New moms have enough on their plate without having to worry about delicate clothing items.
- Lastly, it is important to choose items that are affordable. While it can be tempting to splurge on designer labels, remember that babies grow quickly, and you will need to purchase new clothes often. By following these tips, you can be sure to find the perfect baby clothes for your new bundle of joy.
Buying baby clothes can be an overwhelming task for a new mother, who is just getting used to the idea of having an infant in her life. With these 6 tips on buying baby clothes for a new mom, you should now feel confident in finding some great pieces at reasonable prices that are cute, comfortable and made with quality materials. This will make this special time even more enjoyable for both the mother and the baby!
Want to browse for some new baby clothing for an expecting or new mother? Hit the buy button below and experience a premium quality baby apparel.
Leave a comment