Christenings are incredibly important ceremonies in most Christian churches around the world. It's a common misconception that you can wear whatever you want to a christening. While it might be true in the olden days like the 1920s and 1930s, today, dressing up "appropriate" is just as important.
If you’ve been invited to one and aren’t sure what the rules of dress are, here is our advice on what not to wear to a christening, as well as some tips on what’s appropriate.
What Women Should Not Wear to a Christening
Christenings are important religious ceremonies, and as such, there is a dress code that should be followed. While the specific details may vary depending on the denomination, there are some general guidelines that apply to what women should not wear to a christening. Here are the things to avoid:
- Clothing that is too revealing: This includes anything that is strapless, low-cut, or otherwise reveals too much skin. The focus at a christening should be on the baby and the ceremony itself, not on what the guests are wearing.
- Shorts or skirts that are too short: Again, this is about respect for the occasion. Shorter skirts and shorts may be appropriate for other occasions, but a christening is not one of them.
- Jeans or other casual clothing: While jeans may be acceptable in some churches nowadays, they are still generally considered too casual for a christening. The same goes for any other type of casual clothing, such as t-shirts, sweatshirts, etc.
- Anything that would be considered inappropriate for a church service: This includes everything from overly sexy or revealing clothes to shirts with profane language or images. Basically, if you wouldn't wear it to church on Sunday morning, don't wear it to a christening either.
What Men Should Not Wear to a Christening
While there is no specific dress code, there are certain items that men should avoid wearing. These include:
- Shorts: While jeans or chinos are perfectly acceptable, shorts are not appropriate for this type of event.
- T-shirts: A collared shirt or polo shirt is a better choice.
- Athletic shoes: Dress shoes or loafers are a more appropriate option.
- Hats: Unless you are part of the clergy, a hat should not be worn inside the church.
What Children Should Not Wear to a Christening
For children, a good rule of thumb when selecting their christening outfit ensemble follows suit with that of a woman’s or man’s outfit. For girls, a nice dress or sweater will be sufficient. For boys, a suit can be worn but a nice top and slacks can be appropriate as well. But here the things children need to avoid:
- Children should not wear clothes that are too revealing: This includes clothing that is too tight, short, or transparent.
- Children should not wear clothes that are cutesy or overly childish: This includes clothes with cartoon characters or other childish designs.
- Children should not wear clothes that are uncomfortable: This includes shoes that are too tight, scratchy fabrics, or anything else that would be distracting or uncomfortable to wear for a long period of time.
- Children should not wear clothes that are dirty or wrinkled: This shows disrespect for the event and the people involved. Be sure to have your child's outfit pressed and ready to go before the big day.
Clothes should be clean, free of wrinkles or stains, and fit well. Carriage Boutique has a variety of formal christening wear for boys, girls, and christening outfits for the child of honor.
A christening is a time of celebration for the newest member of your church. If you’re looking for a gift to bring with you to the event, then Carriage Boutique can help. We have adorable gift boxes for boys and girls that will make any parent smile.