Congratulations on your new bundle of joy! You must be excited to welcome your little one into the world and dress them up in adorable outfits. But before you go on a shopping spree, there are some things you need to know about newborn clothes.
What size should you buy? What fabrics should you avoid? How many pieces do you need? How do you wash and care for them? In this blog post, we will answer these questions and more, and provide you with some tips on selecting comfortable, practical, and stylish clothing for your newborn.
One of the first things you need to consider when buying newborn clothes is the size. Babies come in different shapes and sizes, and so do their clothes. Some brands run small, some run large, and some are true to size.
To avoid confusion and frustration, it is best to check the size chart and measurements of each brand before you buy. You can also use a measuring tape to measure your baby's height, weight, chest, and waist, and compare them with the size chart.
Another thing to keep in mind is that babies grow fast, especially in the first few months. They can outgrow their clothes in a matter of weeks, or even days. Therefore, it is wise to buy only a few pieces of newborn clothes, and focus more on the next size up, such as 0-3 months or 3-6 months.
You can also look for clothes that have adjustable features, such as snaps, buttons, or ties, that can accommodate your baby's growth. Read our complete guide about Baby Clothes Size Chart: A Step-by-Step Guide.
Another thing you need to consider when buying newborn clothes is the fabric. Babies have delicate and sensitive skin, and they can easily get irritated or allergic to certain materials.
Therefore, it is important to choose clothes that are made of soft, breathable, and natural fabrics, such as cotton, bamboo, or linen.
These fabrics are gentle on your baby's skin, and they can regulate their body temperature and moisture. They are also easy to wash and dry, and they can last longer.
You should avoid clothes that are made of synthetic fabrics, such as polyester, nylon, or acrylic. These fabrics are harsh on your baby's skin, and they can trap heat and sweat, causing rashes, itching, or overheating.
They are also prone to shrinking, fading, or pilling, and they can be flammable. You should also avoid clothes that have rough seams, zippers, buttons, snaps, or appliques, that can scratch or poke your baby's skin.
Another thing you need to consider when buying newborn clothes is the style. Of course, you want your baby to look cute and fashionable, but you also want them to be comfortable and safe.
Therefore, you should choose clothes that are easy to put on and take off, and that do not restrict your baby's movement or breathing. You should also choose clothes that are appropriate for the season and the occasion, and that match your baby's personality and mood.
Some of the essential pieces of newborn clothes that you should have, or need are:
- Bodysuits: These are one-piece outfits that cover your baby's torso and have snaps at the bottom for easy diaper changes. They can be worn alone or layered with other clothes. They come in various colors, patterns, and prints, and they can suit any style. You should have at least 6 to 8 bodysuits for your newborn.
- Sleepers: These are one-piece outfits that cover your baby's arms and legs and have snaps or zippers at the front for easy dressing. They are designed for sleeping, but they can also be worn during the day. They come in various fabrics, such as fleece, flannel, or cotton, and they can keep your baby warm and cozy. You should have at least 4 to 6 sleepers for your newborn.
- Hats: These are accessories that cover your baby's head and protect them from the sun, wind, or cold. They come in various shapes, such as beanies, caps, or bonnets, and they can add some flair to your baby's outfit. You should have at least 2 to 3 hats for your newborn, depending on the season and the weather.
- Socks: These are accessories that cover your baby's feet and keep them warm and comfortable. They come in various colors, patterns, and designs, and they can match any outfit. You should have at least 6 to 8 pairs of socks for your newborn, and make sure they fit well and do not fall off.
- Mittens: These are accessories that cover your baby's hands and prevent them from scratching their face or sucking their fingers. They come in various fabrics, such as cotton, wool, or fleece, and they can be attached to your baby's sleeves or wrists. You should have at least 2 to 3 pairs of mittens for your newborn, and make sure they are not too tight or too loose.
- Blanket: A blanket is a piece of fabric that can cover your baby's body and keep them warm and cozy. Blankets come in various sizes, shapes, colors, and patterns, and they can be made of different materials, such as cotton, wool, fleece, or flannel. Blankets can be used for various purposes, such as swaddling, sleeping, cuddling, nursing, or playing. You should have at least 2 to 3 blankets for your newborn, and make sure they are soft, breathable, and easy to wash. Read our blog about The Top 11 Must-Have Baby Accessories for Every Stylish Mom.
The last thing you need to consider when buying newborn clothes is the care. Babies are messy, and they can stain, spit up, or poop on their clothes.
Therefore, you need to wash and clean their clothes regularly and properly, to keep them fresh and hygienic. Here are some tips on how to care for your newborn clothes:
- Wash them before you use them. New clothes can have dirt, dust, or chemicals on them that can irritate your baby's skin. Therefore, you should wash them with mild detergent and warm water before you put them on your baby. You can also use vinegar or baking soda to remove any odors or stains.
- Wash the clothes separately. Baby clothes can have different colors, fabrics, and care instructions that can affect how you wash them. Therefore, you should wash them separately from your other clothes, and sort them by color, fabric, and care label. You can also use mesh bags or pillowcases to protect them from damage or tangling.
- Wash gently. Baby clothes are delicate and fragile, and they can easily get worn out or torn. Therefore, you should wash them gently, using the gentle or delicate cycle on your washing machine, or hand wash them with care. You should also avoid using bleach, fabric softener, or dryer sheets, as they can harm your baby's skin or clothes. Read our guide about How to Wash Baby Clothes: 4 Easy Step by Step Guide & Tips.
- Dry them naturally. Baby clothes can shrink, fade, or wrinkle, if you dry them with high heat or tumble dry. Therefore, you should dry them naturally, by hanging them on a clothesline or a drying rack, or laying them flat on a towel. You can also use a low or no heat setting on your dryer, or use wool dryer balls to speed up the drying process and reduce static.
- Store them properly. Baby clothes can get dusty, moldy, or moth-eaten, if you store them improperly. Therefore, you should store them properly, by folding them neatly and placing them in drawers, shelves, or bins. You can also use dividers, labels, or organizers, to sort them by size, type, or season. You should also keep them away from direct sunlight, moisture, or pests, and use lavender sachets or cedar blocks to repel moths and freshen them up.
How Long Do Babies Wear Newborn Clothes?
The answer to how long babies wear newborn clothes depends on several factors, such as their size, growth rate, and clothing brand. However, a general rule of thumb is that newborn clothes fit babies who weigh up to 8 pounds for about three to four weeks. If your baby weighs more than 8 pounds at birth, they will outgrow newborn clothes faster.
Buying newborn clothes can be a fun and exciting task, but it can also be a challenging and overwhelming one. You need to consider many factors, such as size, fabric, style, and care, to ensure that you get the best clothes for your baby. You also need to balance your budget, your taste, and your baby's needs, to avoid wasting money, time, or space.
By following the tips and advice in this blog post, you can make the most of your shopping experience, and enjoy dressing up your little one in comfortable, practical, and stylish clothing.